A Delft Vase Acquired by the Dutch Ceramics Museum


Flower vase, c. 1685-1690 De Metaale Pot Factory
Delft earthenware - 61 x 48 x 40 cm
Leeuwarden, Princessehof National Museum of Ceramics
Photo : Ceramics museum

28/10/13 - Acquisition - Leeuwarden, Princessehof National Museum of Ceramics - The work had been on deposit for thirteen years at the Dutch Ceramics Museum ; the owner finally decided to part with it and the museum was able to purchase it with the help of the Ottema-Kingma Stichting and the Vereniging Rembrandt [1]

This is a Delft ceramic vase from the late 17th century, with six spouts on the body and six more on the cover, all decorated with tulips which it was also supposed to hold. The overall decoration was obviously inspired by the blue on white décor of Ming porcelain and more exactly, that produced under the dynasty’s last emperor, Chongzhen.
As Jaap Jongstra, assistant curator in the European ceramics department at the museum, points out the vase bears the monogram LC, for Lambertus Cleffius, who directed the ceramics factory De Metaale Pot from 1679 until his death in 1691, allowing us to date the piece rather precisely.
Although we find tulip vases which vary greatly in appearance and size on the art market, the shape of this object, a very early example of a Delft flower vase, seems to be the only one of its kind. It has the form of a garden vase or flower pot and suggests the influence of Daniel Marot, a French architect and engraver who lived in exile in Holland after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, working for the stadtholder and future king, William III of Orange and his wife, Mary II of England. He designed many Delft pieces for their residences, and the Metropolitan, notably, holds a vase with handles like the Leeuwarden one but with spouts only on the cover and a more complex blue on white décor.

The Princessehof museum, housed in the former home of Princess Maria Louise of Hesse-Kassel owns a particularly extensive collection of Chinese porcelain pieces besides Dutch works from every period, all on display.

Version française


Bénédicte Bonnet Saint-Georges, lundi 28 octobre 2013


Notes

[1] This information was published by the website Codart.



imprimer Print this article

Previous article in News Items : Charity by Van Delen Exhibited at the Musées Royaux des Beaux-Arts in a Controversial Presentation

Next article in News Items : A Tapestry after Vouet for the Amiens Museum