A Drawing by Joseph Parrocel Donated by the Amis du Louvre to the Département des Arts Graphiques

23/12/13 - Acquisition - Paris, Musée du Louvre - A look at the bulletin published by the Amis du Louvre, in an item written by Xavier Salmon, apprises us that a drawing by Joseph Parrocel, exhibited at the last Salon du Dessin by the Jean-François Baroni Gallery, which we had reproduced in a photograph in the article reviewing this event, was just donated by the association to the Département des Arts Graphiques.

1. Joseph Parrocel (1646-1704)
The King’s Army Fording the Rhine at Tolhuis, 1699
Black chalk, sanguine, pen, brown lavis,
heightened with gouache - 35.8 x 39 cm
Paris, Musée du Louvre
Photo : Galerie Jean-François Baroni

2. Joseph Parrocel (1646-1704)
The King’s Army Fording the Rhine at Tolhuis, 1699
Oil on canvas - 234 x 164 cm
Paris, Musée du Louvre
Photo : RMN-GP

The work was unpublished until now and thus did not appear in the catalogue raisonné which Jérôme Delaplanche had written at Editions Arthena. Its acquisition by the Louvre was a must not only due to its very fine quality - particularly notable is the way the artist toys with the white gouache highlights to represent the landscape - but also because this is a preparatory sheet for a painting residing at the Louvre (ill. 2).
The latter, a work meant to hang over a doorway, had been commissioned by the Surintendance des Bâtiments du Roi in 1699 for the ante-chamber in the king’s apartment at the château in Marly. Jérôme Delaplanche explains, in an article published on his blog, that this painting had been cut on the left and on the right in the 19th century, and that this drawing which now resurfaced allows us to imagine what the entire composition might have looked like.

Version française

Didier Rykner, lundi 23 décembre 2013

imprimer Print this article

Previous article in News Items : Two Paintings by Michel-Ange Challe Donated to the Louvre

Next article in News Items : Vincent Droguet Appointed Director of Heritage and the Collections at the Château de Fontainebleau