A Francisque Millet painting donated to the Louvre


1. Jean-François Millet, called Francisque Millet (1642-1679)
Mercury Discovering Herse
Oil on canvas - 75 x 120.6 cm
Paris, Musée du Louvre (Promised gift)
Photo : Galerie Coatalem

7/11/10 – Acquisition – Paris, Musée du Louvre – A very beautiful canvas by Jean-François Millet, known as Francisque Millet, one of the most important 17th century French landscapists, has just been donated to the Musée du Louvre, as a promised gift, by Mr. Antoine Béal [1] (ill. 1).

A native of Flanders, of French father, Francisque Millet arrived in Paris when he was seventeen but never traveled to Italy. His heroic landscapes are nevertheless strongly influenced by Nicolas Poussin’s classicism.
The work donated to the Louvre, which resided for many years in England, had been placed in deposit at the J. Paul Getty Museum from 1983 to 1986, then in Raleigh from 1999 to 2001. The Parisian museum already owns two paintings by Millet, a bit less ambitious and much smaller in size than this one.


2. Léon Fleury (1804-1858)
A Rocky Landscape at Sassenage (Isère)
Oil on canvas
Paris, Musée du Louvre (Promised gift)
Photo : RMN

3. Claudius Jacquand (1804-1878)
The Young Gaston, the Angel from Foix, 1838
Oil on canvas - 162 x 205 cm
Paris, Musée du Louvre (Promised gift)
Photo : Musée du Louvre


This is not the first time Antoine Béal has made contributions to the Louvre. In 2006, the collector had already offered (as a promised gift), a painting by Léon Fleury, A Rocky Landscape at Sassenage (ill. 2) then, in 2008 (again in the form of a promised gift), The Young Gaston, the Angel from Foix, a canvas by Claudius Jacquand (ill. 3) [2]. Born in Lyon, and a student of Fleury Richard, Claudius Jacquand specialized in historical genre scenes, with a similar inspiration as the troubadour painters strongly influenced particularly by Paul Delaroche. The canvas donated to the Louvre, a large format, falls under this vein and recalls Edward’s Children. The artist depicted the same subject in a painting, in poor condition, held in storage at the Leipzig museum as well as in anotherhanging at the Musée Rolin in Autun. The City Hall in Orthez owns a second version of the composition acquired by the Louvre. Didier Rykner, Saturday 6 November 2010

Notes 1. 2.


Didier Rykner, dimanche 7 novembre 2010


Notes

[1] The collector had acquired the work from the Coatalem Gallery in Paris.

[2] This painting was purchased at the Michel Descours Gallery in Lyon.



imprimer Print this article

Previous article in News Items : Re-discovery of a double-sided drawing by Michelangelo in Rennes

Next article in News Items : A grisaille by Jean de Saint-Igny or Juste d’Egmont acquired by the Louvre