A Watercolor by William Wyld Acquired by the Musée Borda in Dax


William Wyld (1806-1889)
View of Dax, 1858
Watercolor Heightened with Gouache - 17 x 26.5 cm
Dax, Musée Borda
Photo : Sotheby’s

14/4/12 - Acquisition - Dax, Musée Borda - We had already mentioned several museum acquisitions during the Fabius auction at Sotheby’s on 26 and 27 October 2011 (see news items of 26 and 27 October 2011). Another French museum was able to make a purchase which though modest nevertheless proves that despite a limited budget it is still possible to enrich a public collection. For 1,000 euros (before charges), the Musée Borda in fact acquired a watercolor by the English artist, William Wyld, representing a view of Dax (ill.).

A specialist of this technique which is particularly dear to British painters of the first half of the 19th century, Wyld was very attached to France. He spent much of his life there, being particularly well received in Parisian artistic circles, notably those of Horace Vernet and Paul Delaroche. He received several commissions under the Monarchie de Juillet, the Deuxième République and the Second Empire, especially in 1851 when he produced no less than forty-one landscapes for the government [1]. He also participated regularly in the Salon de Paris, notably in 1855, at the Exposition Universelle where he exhibited six works. That same year, for Queen Victoria’s visit, he executed a superb watercolor of the château de Saint Cloud which today resides at Windsor castle [2].
The watercolor acquired by Dax is dated 23 July 1858, corresponding to a trip Wyld took through south-west France.

Version française


Didier Rykner, lundi 16 avril 2012


Notes

[1] Napoléon et la reine Victoria. Une visite à l’Exposition Universelle de 1855, 2008, p. 20, note 18.

[2] It was recently exhibited in Compiègne, see article.



imprimer Print this article

Previous article in News Items : Two Works by Louis-Nicolas Lemasle Acquired by the Musée Antoine Lécuyer

Next article in News Items : Swedish Silver Objects Acquired by the Nationalmuseum in Stockholm