Acquisition of a Carus Painting by the Pommersche Landesmuseum in Greifswald


Carl Gustav Carus (1789-1869)
Ruins of the Abbey of Eldena, 1819-1820
Oil on canvas - 43 x 33 cm
Greifswald, Pommersche Landesmuseum
Photo : Sotheby’s

20/12/11 - Acquisition - Greifswald, Pommersche Landesmuseum - The Pommersche Landesmuseum in Greifswald, Pomerania, the birthplace of Caspar David Friedrich, holds some paintings by this artist, but did not yet own any works by Carl Gustav Carus, one of his best disciples and also a friend, until now. This has been remedied by the recent purchase on the German art market of a canvas which had been sold at Sotheby’s London on 2 June 2010 (for 111,650 £ including charges) alongside two other works by the same painter (all three came directly from his family).

This night scene of a landscape acquired by the German museum was painted in 1819-1820, shortly after Carus and Friedrich first met. It represents the ruins of a Cistercian abbey, destroyed during the Thirty Years’ War, located near Greifwald and painted several times by Friedrich ; in fact, one of these versions resides at the Pommersche Landesmuseum. Speaking of the abbey, Carus said that this was one of the most enchanting places he had ever seen. He drew inspiration from a Friedrich drawing, today at the Kupferstich-Kabinett in Dresden. Carus painted a second version, in a horizontal format, which he offered to Goethe and can be found today at the Goethe-Haus in Weimar.


Version française


Didier Rykner, mercredi 21 décembre 2011



imprimer Print this article

Previous article in News Items : The Wedgwood Museum Can Now Be Sold...

Next article in News Items : Maryvonne de Saint-Pulgent Appointed as Head of the Maison de l’Histoire de France