Fondation Custodia acquisitions at the Salon du Dessin


7/4/10 – Acquisitions – Paris, Fondation Custodia – Every year the Fondation Custodia is among the most active purchasers at the Salon du Dessin. It did not break with tradition in 2010 making even more acquisitions than usual.

At the Galerie Talabardon & Gaultier, the Foundation purchased the Portrait of Caspar David Friedrich in miniature, by Alphonse de Labroue (ill. 1), which we had mentioned in our article (in French), highlighting the Salon, as well as a work from the Lyon artist Auguste Ravier representing cliffs (ill. 2). This watercolour is comparable to some landscapes done in the same technique by Hippolyte Flandrin. It reflects no doubt the friendship between the two painters.

1. Alphonse de Labroue (1792-1830)
Portrait of Caspar David Friedrich
Watercolour and gouache on ivory - 8.6 x 7.2 cm
Paris, Fondation Custodia
Photo : Galerie Talabardon & Gautier

2. Auguste Ravier (1814-1895)
Cliffs
Watercolour - 22.2 x 27 cm
Paris, Fondation Custodia
Photo : Galerie Talabardon & Gautier


Two drawings were also acquired at Paul Proute S.A. The first is a red chalk by Joseph-Benoit Suvee, The Entrance to the Cave of Pausilippe in Naples (ill. 2), a site that was often depicted by French artists such as Jean-Charles-Joseph Remond, Francois-Marius Granet, Achille-Etna Michallon, Louis-Jean Desprez, Jean-Jacques de Boissieur, Hubert Robert… This monumental sheet, dating from 1775, is close to the work done by Robert.

3. Joseph-Benoît Suvée (1743-1807)
The Entrance to the Cave of Pausilippe in Naples
Red chalk - 46.8 x 33.7 cm
Paris, Fondation Custodia
Photo : Galerie Prouté

4. Paul Baudry (1828-1886)
Church of the Assumption in Ariccia
Black pencil - 27 x 27.8 cm
Paris, Fondation Custodia
Photo : Galerie Prouté


5. Eugenio Lucas Velásquez (1817-1870)
Landscape (Mancha)
Feather and brown ink - 15.5 x 23.5 cm
Paris, Fondation Custodia
Photo : Fondation Custodia

The second drawing from the Proute Gallery is a view of the church of the Assumption in Ariccia (a building designed by Bernini) by Paul Baudry (ill. 4). It dates from July 1851, at which time Baudry, in residence at the Villa Medicis, traveled through the Latium region.

Finally, the Barcelona gallery Artur Roman sold a Landscape of La Mancha by Eugenio Lucas Velazquez, a student of Goya (ill. 5), surprising in its almost abstract character, to the Fondation Custodia.

Version française


Didier Rykner, mercredi 7 avril 2010



imprimer Print this article

Previous article in News Items : Another donation for the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Lille

Next article in News Items : Acquisitions by the Bowes Museum