Opening of the Galleria del Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano


1. Michelangelo Merisi, called Caravaggio (1571-1610)
The Martyrdom of Saint Ursula, 1610
Oil on canvas - 140.5 x 170.5 cm
Naples, Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano
Photo : Intesa San Paolo

12/06/2007— Museum — Naples, Italy, Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano — On June 9th, the Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano in Naples opened to the public after a restauration of this XVIIIthC. building, site of the head offices for the Intesa San Paolo bank group, to its former splendor. An agency is located on the ground floor whereas the upper level is now the home of a small museum displaying the paintings owned by the company. The major artpiece is the work by Caravaggio, The Martyrdom of Saint Ursula (ill. 1), acquired in 1972 by the Banca Commerciale Italiana, taken over in 1999 by Intesa San Paolo. The rest of the collection is made up of Neapolitan vedute from the XVIIth and XVIIIth CC., notably by Gaspare Vavitelli (ill. 2) and Anton Smink Pitloo.


2. Gaspare Vanvitelli (1652/53-1736)
VIew of the Largo di Palazzo
Oil on canvas
Naples, Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano
Photo : Intesa San Paolo

3. Main Staircase
The ceiling is painted
by Giuseppe Cammarano and the walls by
Gennaro Maldarelli
Naples, Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano
Photo : Intesa San Paolo


The galleries are decorated in the style of the XIXthC. The stuccoes are by Gennaro Aveta and the murals were painted by Giuseppe Cammarano and Gennaro Maldarelli. These three artists, members of the Fine Arts Academy of Naples, worked in many other buildings in the city.

Internet website for the Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano

Visitor information : Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano Via Toledo, 185 80132 Naples Open every day except Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Version française


Didier Rykner, mardi 12 juin 2007



imprimer Print this article

Previous article in News Items : Opening of the Galleria del Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano

Next article in News Items : Another Goya painting for Zaragoza